The Iranians may also have held their tongues because they enjoyed seeing the world's attention focused on Saudi Arabia and Turkey instead of their own political and economic situation, and because they wanted to keep their options open for improving relations with the Saudis and the United States, especially if the Khashoggi crisis forces Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman to resign.
Saudi officials initially denied having anything to do with Khashoggi's disappearance after he entered the consulate on October 2, before changing the official account to say an internal investigation suggested he was accidentally killed in a botched operation to return him to the kingdom.
The Foreign Ministry did not say what led the prosecutor to draw that conclusion, only that it was based on information shared by Turkish investigators working with Saudi officials in Turkey.
"Saudi Arabia is carrying out all of the legal procedures to investigate and present the guilty to trial", the crown prince told an investment summit in Riyadh that has been marred by Khashoggi's death.
Turkish authorities were granted permission by Saudi officials to carry out inspections of the well after initially being denied access.
The officials spoke on condition of anonymity, citing the sensitivity of the matter and the ongoing investigation into Khashoggi's death.
Former Sen. Bob Graham can't forget what he learned about Saudi Arabia when he co-chaired the 9/11 Commission.
"It would have likely had the approval of the Saudi government", said Robert Jordan, a former USA ambassador to Saudi Arabia during President George W. Bush's administration.
Khashoggi was in Turkey for a scheduled visit to obtain documents for his upcoming marriage to a Turkish woman.
Saudi Arabia has said that 18 people had been arrested in connection with the incident.
However, Trump suddenly changed his stance and said that he wanted to believe that the prince is actually not involved in the incident.
"There are now those who are trying to take advantage of this painful situation to create a rift between the Kingdom and Turkey", he said.
They acknowledged the plan allowed for removing Khashoggi from the consulate and questioning him at a "safe house".
The Saudis have said that Khashoggi is dead but said the killing occurred after a fist fight went wrong and blamed a "rogue" operation.
"So we have the opportunity - if we decide we're not going to ask the [Saudi] king to remove him discreetly - to. sit down with him and say, "listen, we can't go on like this", Indyk said.
Western officials repeatedly publicly condemned the murder, while the Western media have been actively reporting on it for quite some time.
News of the telephone call appeared to calm growing speculation that Turkey was edging toward implicating the crown prince, whose ambitions for a modernised Saudi Arabia have been undermined by his penchant for making enemies at home and overseas.
U.S. lawmakers have increased pressure on the Trump administration, accusing the Crown Prince of ordering the killing. On Monday, media outlets broadcast images of a body double strolling outside the consulate in Khashoggi's clothes, a detail confirmed by Erdogan.
Surveillance cameras had been disconnected in the Saudi consulate before The Washington Post's columnist's arrival, the President added.
Cengiz has remained largely mum since the killing, but posted a tribute video of Khashoggi on Twitter over the weekend.
But the kingdom is under mounting global pressure over the killing amid U.S. accusations of a monumental cover-up by the kingdom.
Despite Turkish authorities claims of having evidence of his brutal killing inside the consulate, the Saudi government for weeks, denied and claimed he had left the Consulate.