Central Texas surf resort closed for 'brain-eating amoeba' testing

Adjust Comment Print

After returning home to New Jersey, Stabile died on September 21 due to amoeba that can cause a rare and devastating infection of the brain.

Naegleria fowleri can not be contracted by swallowing contaminated water, according to the CDC.

The Waco McLennan County Public Health District said that the CDC tested water at BSR and that results from the test would come out later this week.

It causes the nervous-system infection primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM) by traveling up a person's nostrils and into their brain, but can not be transmitted if a person swallows water contaminated with the bug. Only four people out of 143 have survived infection in the US from 1962 to 2017, the CDC said.

But the "brain-eating amoeba" infections can also occur in inadequately chlorinated swimming pools or heated and contaminated tap water, hot springs, geothermal drinking water, and water heaters.

On Thursday, he tested positive for Naegleria fowleri - an infection that has only affected 34 people between 2008 to 2017, according to the CDC.

Samples from the pool have been collected for testing, with preliminary results expected later this week.

Fabrizio Stabile, 29, died Friday from Naegleria fowleri, a bacteria-eating amoeba commonly found in warm freshwater and soil and that's only affected 34 people over the past decade.

Symptoms include headache, fever, nausea, vomiting, loss of balance and seizures.

The owner of BSR Cable Park, Stuart E. Parsons Jr., said the park will continue to comply with requests related to the investigation of Stabile's death. He died at a hospital in Atlantic City on September 21.

It's unclear if the park remained closed Sunday morning and the CDC did not immediately respond to The Associated Press' call seeking information on whether others who visited could have Naegleria fowleri. "BSR Surf Resort operates a state-of-the-art artificial man-made wave". He said the surf resort is in compliance with the CDC's "guidelines and recommendations concerning Naegleria fowleri".