New Jersey Man Dies from 'Brain-Eating' Amoeba

Adjust Comment Print

Naegleria fowleri is known as the "brain-eating amoeba" and is usually found in warm fresh water.

Though it's unclear exactly how the man, 29-year-old Fabrizio Stabile, got the amoeba, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is now investigating BSR Cable Park's Surf Resort in Waco, Texas, the Waco Tribune-Herald reported on September 28.

Fabrizio Stabile, of Ventor, reportedly contracted the amoeba from a wave pool at a surf resort in central Texas.

Fabrizio "Fab" Stabile, 29, of Ventnor, N.J., died September 21 - five days after complaining of a severe, sudden headache. The disease causes "primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM), which destroys brain tissue and causes swelling and death", according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

BSR Cable Park owner Stuart E. Parsons Jr. said BSR Surf Resort values its guests' safety and will continue to comply with requests from the CDC and local health department in the investigation.

Stabile was remembered as an avid outdoors lover who loved to surf and snowboard.

You can not be infected with Naegleria fowleri by drinking contaminated water and the amoeba is not found in salt water.

It usually infects people when contaminated water enters the body through the nose.

Doctors first thought he was suffering from meningitis, but tests revealed he had Naegleria fowleri the day before his death, when it was too late to treat the infection.

Naegleria fowleri infections are rare.

The Baylor Wakeboarding club team is scheduled to host a tournament next weekend at the surf resort.

It's a type of amoeba that can be fatal if it enters a person's brain. Most infections occur from exposure to contaminated recreational water.

Comments