Cape Cod shark attack: Man killed in attack off MA beach

Adjust Comment Print

WELLFLEET, Mass. A man was bitten by a shark Saturday in the water off a Cape Cod beach and died later at a hospital, becoming the state's first shark attack fatality in more than 80 years.

The Cape Cod National Park Service said the attack happened around 12:30 p.m. 300 yards south of Newcomb Hollow.

The man, who has not been named, was rushed to Cape Cod Hospital in Hyannis, where he was later pronounced dead, though the extent of his injuries are not known.

The beach has been closed to swimming.

His attack was the first in MA waters since 2012.

A 61-year-old NY man was severely injured on August 15 after fighting off a shark off Truro, about four miles north of Saturday's attack.

The Cape Cod Chamber of Commerce also extended sympathies and support to the man's family.

Beach-goers carry a shark attack victim down Newcomb Hollow Beach.

The beach where Medici was boogie boarding has a sign warning of the potential dangers of the water that urges swimmers to "Be Shark Smart".

Then the victim's friend dragged him to shore. "15ft wide. I saw a tail and a lot of thrashing", Joe Booth said.

A shark had been spotted at Newcomb Hollow Beach as recently as September 1, according to the Atlantic White Shark Conservancy's Sharktivity app. "This has turned into Amity Island real quick out here".

The man suffered "injuries to his lower extremities", an off-duty lifeguard told The Cape Cod Times. He freed himself by punching the shark in the gills, he told the Boston Globe. The neurologist struck the shark in the gills after remembering a nature documentary that said that was the predator's most sensitive spot.

Saturday's incident was the second shark attack off of Cape Cod this summer, though multiple sharks have been spotted in the area in recent months, according to WBUR.

News Release from County Commissioner Ronald Beaty, published verbatim.

Comments