Death toll in Indonesia quake rises to 164

Adjust Comment Print

Indonesia's disaster agency says the death toll from the quake that shook Lombok island Sunday evening has risen to 131.

Local authorities, global relief groups and the central government have begun organising aid, but shattered roads have slowed efforts to reach survivors in the mountainous north and east of Lombok, which bore the brunt of the quake.

Thousands of buildings have been damaged by Sunday's quake which has left 156,000 people homeless.

About three-quarters of the island's rural north have been without electricity.

As the aid effort stepped up, volunteers and rescue personnel erected more temporary shelters for the tens of thousands left homeless on Lombok by the magnitude 7.0 quake.

Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, a spokesman for Indonesia's disaster agency, tweeted videos on Thursday showing what appeared to be new damage to buildings and power lines.

"The natural disaster does not have any tsunami potential", Hary Tirto Djatmiko, spokesman for Indonesia's meteorology, climatology and geophysics agency (BMKG), said of Thursday's aftershock.

The US Geological Survey has the tremor at a magnitude 5.9.

A Reuters witness said the latest quake sent people into the streets in panic and caused buildings to collapse.

Nugroho said thousands of buildings had been damaged, according to the report.

YET ANOTHER powerful natural disaster has struck the Indonesian island of Lombrok, next to Bali.

Local authorities, worldwide relief groups and the central government have begun organising aid, but shattered roads have slowed efforts to reach survivors in the mountainous north of Lombok, which bore the brunt of the quake.

Rescuers have found three bodies and also managed to pull one man alive from the twisted wreckage of one mosque in Lading Lading village, while at least one body has been spotted under the rubble in Pemenang. Aid agencies say the number is likely to increase dramatically as they gain access to the worst-hit parts of the island.

The military said five planes carrying food, medicine, blankets, field tents and water tankers left Jakarta for the island early Wednesday.

But Mr Sutopo said some areas in the north had still not received any aid.

The island is in the West Nusa Tenggara province of Indonesia.

Hundreds of bloodied and bandaged victims have been treated outside damaged hospitals in the island's main city of Mataram and other badly affected areas.

Comments