McGregor/Khabib to headline UFC 229

Adjust Comment Print

"The fight is done", UFC President Dana White said.

Well it seems like Conor McGregor's Irish lawyer may have confirmed the date and location for his bout with Nurmagomedov.

The last time McGregor was in the Octagon, he scored a 2nd round knockout over lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez to become the first fighter to hold two world titles simultaneously. UFC 229 takes place at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas and will be for Nurmagomedov's lightweight belt.

Nurmagomedov (26-0) proceeded to overwhelm Al Iaquinta in Brooklyn to capture the lightweight belt that the UFC had stripped from McGregor.

Nurmagomedov, the Dagestan-born Russian champion, has been one of the pound-for- pound greats of MMA when healthy, racking up 10 consecutive victories since joining the UFC.

McGregor and Nurmagomedov weren't at the Orpheum Theatre in downtown Los Angeles along with the other headlining fighters of the autumn cards, but the announcement of their bout set off wild cheering among the fans.

Nate Diaz made his thoughts on the UFC's Conor McGregor announcement very clear on Friday. The former champion reached a plea deal with a NY court earlier this month to avoid jail time and deportation, which cleared the way for the former champion to compete in the Octagon.

That led to charges for McGregor, who escaped a jail term and criminal record after pleading guilty to disorderly conduct, paving the way for the bout against Nurmagomedov. The popular Diaz (19-11) hasn't fought since that majority-decision loss to McGregor in August 2016, but he agreed to fight Dustin Poirier in a lightweight bout in NY at UFC 230 on November 3. But once the event wrapped, White presented a video package that announced the return of the UFC's biggest star. "I've never turned down a fight in my life", Diaz said.

Comments