Infected Oysters at Florida Restaurant Kill Diner

Adjust Comment Print

A 71-year-old Florida man has died from bacteria that he got from eating raw oysters, state authorities have said.

The local health department said the unidentified man died on July 10 from vibrio, a bacteria usually seen from undercooked oysters, reports WFLA yesterday, July 18.

The department did not release the name of the restaurant where the man ate the tainted shellfish.

"Vibrio vulnificus is often mislabeled as flesh-eating bacteria but it is very important to note that it is not flesh-eating bacteria".

Vibrio vulnificus is sometimes referred to as a "flesh-eating bacteria" but health officials say that label is misleading because it can not attack healthy skin.

In Manatee County, there has been one case of flesh-eating bacteria so far in 2018 but no deaths.

While most Vibrio infections from oysters result in milder symptoms such as diarrhea and vomiting, infections caused by Vibrio vulnificus can cause more severe illness, including bloodstream infections and severe blistering skin lesions. If the infection is contracted through the skin, it can lead to skin breakdown and ulcers.

WWSB also warns that bacteria can enter the system through an open wound, so be wary swimming with cuts. While infections are rare, people can contract the bacteria by eating contaminated raw shellfish, or by exposing open wounds such as cuts or scrapes to water.

Infections are more likely between May and October when the water is warmer.

Because the water is warmer, bacteria become more prevalent. There were no reported cases a year ago, officials said.

Leon, Madison, Suwannee, Taylor, and Gadsden counties have had no confirmed cases of flesh eating bacteria.

Pasco County has had no cases in 2018, and one non-fatal case each in 2017 and 2017.

Comments