Umar Akmal claimed that he was approached by bookmakers on several occasions for alleged corrupt activities, Geo TV reported.
The PCB's anti-corruption unit has scheduled a hearing for Wednesday after Akmal, who has made 116 ODI appearances, told a local channel that he had been offered $200,000 to "leave two balls alone" in a World Cup match against India in 2015.
Discarded Pakistan wicketkeeper-batsman Umar Akmal has made a shocking revelation that he was made an offer of 2 Lakh USD during the World Cup to leave two balls. "In 2015 World Cup and all matches against Inda, bookies have offered me money to miss those games", Akmal further claimed.
"During India-Pakistan World Cup game in 2015 as well. they offered me money to sit out of the game but I told that I am honest to play for my country. I was also offered to skip matches against India". "Don't talk with me on this topic from now", Akmal added. It will be interesting to see whether Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) was aware of such offers or not.
His revelation has raised questions if the batsman had reported about this to anti-corruption officials. Whilst we note that there is no suggestion that any "fix" actually took place, the ICC is reliant on players to report any corrupt approaches in a timely manner. "We have launched an investigation and wish to speak to Mr Akmal as matter of urgency", the spokesman added.
Meanwhile, the worldwide cricket council has launched an investigation into the matter and has expressed desire to speak to Umar Akmal. "As such we are taking Akmal's comments very seriously", the report quoted ICC as saying in an official statement.