Sara Gilbert stands behind ABC's decision to cancel 'Roseanne'

Adjust Comment Print

Sara Gilbert candidly talked about Roseanne's shocking cancellation during Monday's episode of The Talk.

Speaking out for the first time since she tweeted following the show's cancellation, Gilbert, 43, said: "In addition to my statement, I would like to say this has been a very hard week".

"A lot of people have been hurt by this", she continued. "I will say I'm proud of the show we made", Gilbert said. The show has always been about diversity, love & inclusion.

The call in to the podcast came two days after ABC canceled her show last week over the tweet mocking Valerie Jarrett, a former adviser to President Barack Obama and an African-American.

"Roseanne's recent comments about Valerie Jarrett, and so much more, are abhorrent and do not reflect the beliefs of our cast and crew or anyone associated with our show", she wrote.

Deadline has now been reporting that there's cautious optimism among the cast and writers of the series that ABC can work out a deal to keep Roseanne Barr firmly out of the proceedings and continuing on without her.

"I'm really glad to hear you say that, because as a black woman who is a comedian, I'm very, very proud of Channing Dungey..."

Done: 'It's sad to see it end in this way.

On an episode of "Roseanne" Darlene and Roseanne are pictured in the kitchen.

Gilbert initially tweeted after the show's sudden cancellation, distancing herself from Barr's views.

While she wouldn't be on the air for the week, Gilbert responded to the tweet in a post of her own early that morning. Here's what she said. "I'm happy to see that it was done swiftly", said Sheryl Underwood.

Gilbert wasn't asked about reports that she and the show's other stars and producers are looking at ways to revive the show without Barr.

However, mere minutes after Gilbert tweeted about Barr's comment - which Gilbert called "abhorrent" - ABC made a decision to cancel the show altogether.

Comments