TV Producer Dies After E-Cigarette Explodes & Burns 80% Of His Body

Adjust Comment Print

D'Elia, who died on May 5, also suffered burns on almost 80 percent of his body, The Tampa Bay Times reported.

A former CNBC producer has passed away after his e-cigarette exploded and became lodged in his skull, according to a newly released autopsy.

He suffered thermal injuries to about 80 percent of his body, including his chest, shoulder, abdomen, back, arm and hand.

The U.S. Fire Administration says there have been 195 cases in which an electronic cigarette exploded or caught fire between 2009 through 2016, resulting in 133 injuries, 38 of which were severe. At the time of his death, D'Elia was using a "mod" type of Smok-E Mountain Mech Works pen that was manufactured in the Philippines.

The Food and Drug Administration recommends that smokers should not leave pens charging overnight or use off-brand chargers.

Gary Wilder told ABC he refuses to sell the devices, fearing they will overheat.

Larger vaporizers - such as the device found in the St. Petersburg case - come with much larger and more powerful batteries.

Smok-E Mountain, however, told ABC its e-cigarettes do not explode, suggesting instead that the device's battery or atomizer was likely to blame.

The owner of Lizard Juice, an e-cigarette retailer in Florida, said he does not think such vaping pens are "safe enough".

'It can explode and at that point it can project either the pieces of the lighter itself or the vape pen'.

Also that year, a 14-year-old girl had mild to moderate burns after an e-cigarette exploded in the pocket of a person nearby while on a Harry Potter ride at Universal Studios in Orlando, Florida.

Kiklas said there are two steps e-cigarette users can take to avoid the risk of an explosion.

Replace the batteries if they get damaged or wet.

Comments