Authorities Identify Three Bodies Belonging to Missing California Family

Adjust Comment Print

The family was traveling from Portland, Oregon, to their home in Santa Clarita.

The bodies of his father and 9-year-old sister were found inside the submerged vehicle on Sunday and his mother's body was found last Friday. Their son, Siddhant, 12, remained missing.

The bodies of a missing Southern California man and his young daughter have been discovered still strapped inside the SUV which careened into and sank into the Eel River during an intense rainstorm, authorities said Monday.

Afile photo released by The Mendocino County Sheriff's Office shows a search underway along the Eel River in Northern California.

After several hours of searching near the reported crash site, search teams found the Thottapilly vehicle submerged about 4-6 feet beneath the water.

Dozens of searchers had been combing the river with Jet Skis, boats and kayaks, along with dive teams.

"Visibility was extremely poor and divers noted the vehicle was encased in a large amount of sediment from the river current", Capt. Gregory L. Van Patten, field services commander of the sheriff's office, said in the statement.

Soumya Thottapilly was found in an area previously covered with water from the storm-swollen river.

The Mendocino County Sheriff's Office said in a statement that they have found the bodies of 41-year-old Sandeep Thottapilly and 9-year-old Saachi Thottapilly after searchers located the SUV on Sunday in the Eel River.

Sandeep was a Vice-President at Union Bank, while Soumya was a stay-at-home parent.

They were expected to arrive at a family member's home in San Jose but never made it to the house. Their last known location was near Klamath near the OR border. The crash happened just days after authorities in Washington state opened an investigation following allegations the children were being neglected.

Jennifer Hart, who was driving the SUV that careened off a California cliff killing herself, her wife and six kids in a tragedy that police now believe was intentional, was drunk, according to toxicology reports. A body was pulled from the surf April 7 but has not been identified.