Southern California Evacuations Lifted After Mudslide Threat Wanes

Adjust Comment Print

Keep in mind to update your bookmarks.

With a trio of storm systems expected to make for a wet week throughout Santa Barbara County, officials already have begun issuing evacuation orders for South County residents living near the recent burn areas. Evacuation orders issued as a precaution on Monday were lifted at 10:30 a.m.

Recent edits to the debris flow risk map for Carpinteria have downgraded large portions of the valley from Extreme High Risk to High Risk.

"The National Weather Service has informed us that the approaching storm is of greater intensity than was previously anticipated", Santa Barbara County Sheriff Bill Brown said Monday afternoon. County officials say none of the coming systems appear to be capable of causing debris flows, but each will be evaluated.

Montecito was hit hard in January when a downpour over a wildfire burn scar unleashed flash floods laden with huge boulders that destroyed or damaged hundreds of homes, killed 21 people and left two others missing.

Areas identified as "high risk" will be under a "recommended evacuation warning".

Voluntary evacuations were also in place temporarily in Ventura County for residents of Matilija Canyon and North Fork, the county's fire department said on Twitter.

This first storm was initially predicted to bring between a 1/2 and 1 1/2 inches of rain, with foothill and mountain areas receiving 2 inches or more, according to the National Weather Service.

Residents who live near the site of a deadly January mudslide in Southern California were ordered to evacuate yet again Monday night amid fears that an incoming storm system could trigger more unsafe debris flows, but those orders were lifted Tuesday morning and everyone was allowed to go home.

Comments