Bengaluru: Under-construction building collapses, many workers feared trapped

Adjust Comment Print

Earlier in 2016, at least three persons were killed when a muti-storey under-construction residential building collapsed at Bellandur in south-east Bengaluru.

So far, seven labourers have been rescued by the rescue team, which reached the spot as soon as the news was given to them. The mayor also said that the under-construction building had five floors while only three were sanctioned officially. There are still some persons trapped under the debris. "Rescue operations are underway", Bengaluru Mayor Sampath Raj was quoted saying by a leading daily.

The building collapse incident today comes barely a week after two dilapidated buildings in the city, located in Yeshwanthpur and Jayanagar localities, tilted to one side. The injured were rescued and shifted to a private hospital where one of them is in a critical situation.

The State Disaster Response Force was pressed into the rescue operations. Visuals released by news agency ANI on Thursday showed fire personnel pulling the workers out of the rubble.

Raj said the building collapsed because of weak foundation and action will be taken against the owner and the contractor.

The building has been under construction for six years. The construction resumed six months ago, the deputy commissioner said.

Comments