Congress blames MEA for ill-treatment of Kulbhushan Jadhav's family in Pakistan

Adjust Comment Print

The meeting will take place at the Pakistan Foreign Ministry in Islamabad.

Mr Jadhav, 47, who was captured in March past year, was sentenced to death by a Pakistani military court for alleged spying, an accusation India has dismissed as fabricated.

In the statement, Pakistan had rejected as "baseless" India's contentions that was Jadhav's wife and mother were harassed and it was claimed that his wife's shoes were also confiscated on security grounds as there was "something" present in it. Faisal had said, "There was something in the shoe".

Jadhav, who is languishing in a Pakistani jail, met his family for the first time across a glass screen, through an intercom.

India dismissed the meeting as a farce, saying Jadhav was speaking "in an atmosphere of coercion".

"Most of his remarks were clearly tutored and created to perpetuate the false narrative of his alleged activities in Pakistan". It said,"We do not wish to indulge in a meaningless battle of words".

India has appealed to the court to impose emergency measures for Jadhav's execution to be suspended until the legal battle in Hague concludes, while also accusing Pakistan of violating the Vienna Convention by failing to provide him with consular access and for being in breach of global human rights law. "Our openness and transparency belies these allegations".

Agarwal later said never called Jadhav a terrorist.

Before being let in for meeting Kulbhushan Jadhav at the Foreign Office building in Islamabad on Monday, Pakistani authorities made his wife and mother remove their mangalsutra, bangles and bindi and also made them change their attire, India said on Tuesday, slamming the meeting as "lacking in credibility" and "intimidating". "We are very disappointed and not in a mood to speak on the family's Pakistan visit", the relative told news agency PTI.

Kulbhushan Jadhav was arrested by Pakistan security forces from restive Balochistan province on March 3 previous year after he reportedly entered from Iran as claimed by Pakistan itself.

He was convicted and sentenced to death in April by a military court. To save Jadhav, India moved the International Court of Justice, which ordered Pakistan in May to stay his execution.

Hearings in the case are ongoing.